Sunday, January 15, 2012

Life Drawing and Painting


For many years now, I've taken life (i.e., there's a live model) drawing and painting  classes.

Taking classes is a good way to spend a chunk of time drawing and painting in the company of other people who care about art.  I'm not Picasso in Paris; I don't have a café where I can hang out with other artists and then wander back to their studios to look at their work.  Classes fill some of that social need for me.

Although my finished paintings have been mostly still lives (so far), I always enjoy drawing the figure.  It's an endless challenge.  It is both extremely complex and extremely familiar, so that if any detail is even slightly off, you'll know immediately.  This is in contrast to a subject like a tree, which might be just as complex, but less familiar, so that if the branch structure is slightly off, no-one's the wiser.   If you can draw the human figure, you can draw anything.

Above is my latest effort from life-drawing class.  It's pretty well developed for me, since it was one three-hour session.  One skill I'm working on is the ability to paint quickly and directly, with minimal fussing and second-guessing.

4 comments:

  1. I really like your blog Beth! Keep painting and keep posting! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it's the lighting, but this looks even better here than in person. Great. Love the shadowing etc. The human figure is hard because while an image on a canvas is 2-D...the human figure can't be painted as such. The line must portray it in a 3-D manner....tough

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's one thing when spam is cheery and ego building... That's annoying enough , it's quite another when this sort of crap is posted
    however you have to take a look at the spelling on several
    of your posts. A number of them are rife with spelling problems and I in finding it very troublesome to tell the truth


    well since we are letting our hair down, I should confess I find spam very troublesome so we are even...be gone spam!

    Like Santa I'm making a list and I'm checking it twice ...who ever uses spam to promote themselves ( I'm looking at you gatorade) will be gone my shopping cart

    ReplyDelete
  4. and PS , this drawing is still great

    ReplyDelete