Friday, December 9, 2011

In Progress 1


Here's how my new still life looks so far.

Over the past many years, I've accumulated several dresses printed with lively, interesting patterns (from a fair-trade website.) I bought them because I like the fabric, but the truth is that when I wear them I look like a badly upholstered couch.  I hardly ever wear dresses in any case. So they have found a new life as part of my still life designs.

You'll see that I've developed the fabric pretty well, while sketching in the owl and neglecting other parts of the painting entirely.   This is against the classical advice to develop all parts of the painting simultaneously, beginning with an all-over sketch.  I understand that the point behind this advice is to save time and effort, so you don't realize after finishing an object of the painting to within a millimeter of its life that you should have moved it over a couple of inches, but it's just not the way I think.  I assemble a painting more like a jigsaw puzzle, and if I have to tweak a "finished" passage later, that's life.  There are some legendary painters (Chuck Close?  Stuart Shils?) who start at one corner of the painting, work across to the other corner, and then declare themselves done, but I'm not at that extreme either.

5 comments:

  1. I'm loving the, for the moment, ghostly owl! And of course the fabric. Whatever method works for one is of course the method to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The big news this week is that I actually ran out of Ultramarine Blue. I've been waiting and waiting to get the package from Dick Blick -- it finally arrives -- and they sent the WRONG COLOR! Argh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The big news this week is that I actually ran out of Ultramarine Blue. I've been waiting and waiting to get the package from Dick Blick -- it finally arrives -- and they sent the WRONG COLOR! Argh.

    MOTHER OF GOD!! If people only knew the leavle of frustration you have just described! In that case I would get myself to thier store in town...or rather, send my husband! lol!

    Plus the WRONG colour!?? There is no "fixing" the wrong colour....and to those who say " oh blue is blue " ...NOT!

    I hope it gets there soon!

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even better, I finally found the extra tube of Ultramarine Blue that I was pretty sure I had in the studio. So I'm back to work on the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank goodness! We should have emergency rations of our favorites always on hand!

    I'm back to person non gratis google wise

    Anne

    ReplyDelete